9.09.2008

Scattergun Script

No major thoughts, just many little ones...
  • Fantasy football = fun. My goodness. Who knew. Having a dozen guys over and hosting a draft in my very own living room proved to be a blast. I can look at Brett Favre, Randy Moss, and Tony Gonzalez, and call them "my guys." (No, Tom Brady was not "my guy." Condolences to all who burned a first-round pick on him, though.) I even won my first game! We'll see how Week 2 goes.
  • Pray-As-You-Go Podcast = awexome. I've been riding this train for about a week now, and it's really been good. This podcast combines Scripture readings, contemplative questions, and instrumental music to create a 10-15 minute devotional that incorporates both Scripture and meditation. Bonus points for the accents.
  • Everyone needs a deck. The deck behind my house has been my study spot, my meditation haven, my phone call pacing platform, and my escape route. Get yourself one. Bonus points if it overlooks a field. Triple points if said field contains a smattering of cows and recently harvested tobacco stubble.
  • Look to the faith of our fathers. As of late, I've been reading Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest, as well as working my way through John Wesley's 52 Standard Sermons. High recommendations on both. I read about Christianity from these men and become awed and inspired, coaxed and challenged. In contrast, I read about faith from contemporary authors and may be impressed, but not compelled. With people from my own time, I can only applaud the questions; however, the answers from the past cut straight to my spirit. I'll take the Great Awakening for 400, Alex.
  • AtypicalSpirituality = ? I have the honor of being a contributor to AtypicalSpirituality.com, when the fit takes me. However, the past 6, maybe 7, posts have all tied directly into politics. Is there anything else going on in the world? How about...
  • FedEx Express rolls again. Roger Federer cruised past Andy Murray to take the US Open in convincing style. Murray made a late charge for respectability at the end of the match, but was unable to pull off the upset. He did defeat Rafa and break into the Top 5, though. I do hope Sampras' record of most Slam titles holds - I just like him more than Federer. Is Roger back from his disappointing showings earlier this year? We'll see. In the meantime, I'm still pulling for James Blake. That guy deserves his own Slam trophy as much as anyone, if not more.
  • Great Quote: "If there is a God who speaks anywhere, surely He speaks here: through waking up and working, through going away and coming back again, through people you read and books you meet, through falling asleep in the dark." -Frederick Buechner, The Alphabet of Grace-
  • Something about people. It's been interesting; there have been people here at school who remind me of other people. Not so uncommon, perhaps. However, there is always the accompanying motivation to build/rebuild relationships with the people I'm reminded of. It's been kinda odd, but very good.

That's all I've got for now; see ya next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Seth.

Monk-in-Training said...

I love pray as you go, my Jesuit brothers do a great job with it.