9.22.2011

The Pony Express Brought You Something...

...And that something is a newsletter from me. Aren't you excited? On to the bullet points that I love so much!
  • I'm still dating the aforementioned Ginger, and she's even more awesome than I thought she was before. We both moved back to our hometowns after graduation, so most of our relationship has been of the long-distance variety thus far. It presents a set of challenges, but we've grown through them and I find myself incredibly grateful every day that she's my girlfriend. We've been able to hop on some planes through the summer and visit each other's homes, meet families, etc. I continue to be amazed by her and am excited for what the future holds.
  • In my last post, I spoke too soon regarding my doctoral acceptance status. The Toronto School of Theology (Wycliffe) sent me a late acceptance letter, notifying me that they accepted me to their Theological Studies Ph.D. program. Due to some concerns, I requested and received a deferral of enrollment; should I choose to attend this program, they'll hold my spot until September of 2012.
  • I also began a blog devoted to my more theological thoughts. The bulk of the content up there is a devotional series that I wrote for the season of Lent this past year. Posts since then have been sporadic, but I will kick off another devotional series soon. Check it out: The Continuum of Grace.
  • I mentioned that I would be returning to Tulsa in my previous update, which I have done. Emmaus Road Church (formerly Saturday Night Community Church) was able to pull me on in a part-time capacity as an assistant pastor. It has been wonderful to re-engage this community of believers that is near to my heart and to start doing life with them. Though it's only a part-time gig at present, I'm excited about what God is doing in the community and have high hopes for the future.
  • Aside from Emmaus Road Church, this has become a season of rest for me. I graduated from ATS in May with an M.Div. and a slew of medical problems brought on by chronic exhaustion. My parents have been kind enough to take me back into their home. (Remember when I said I wouldn't go back? Yeah, I lied.) I've been seeing some doctors and making a more devoted effort to take care of myself. The past few months have been helpful in that area, and I feel better now physically than I have in a long time. Part of my struggle is that I have often equated rest with laziness; this attitude was partially what got me into trouble. Family and friends alike have been wonderful during this time, supporting me in what is a much-needed time of restoration and healing. Plans for the future remain decidedly fuzzy in light of this. I could pursue an expanded role at the church or head off to Canada for my Ph.D., or perhaps other options will present themselves. There's also a wonderful girl in Delaware that I'd like to be a bit closer to, and that thought factors into these considerations. All in all, I'm in a great place now; the best I've been in for a long time. I'm excited to see what God does next.
Ginger had the opportunity to flip through several of my old blog entries a few days ago, and she and I had a discussion about the window that they provided on my life. It's interesting; since my posts have been rather sporadic and come from many transition periods of my life, so much has changed in the time that I've had this blog. I remember many of the places and frames of mind that I was in when I wrote them. I've changed a lot as a person, no question; and yet, there are some things that remain constant. My sense of awe at the world in which I live, for instance. The creative longings that exist within me. My snarky sense of humor. (Sorry about that last one... You all may have to put up with that for a while.) In some ways, who we are changes as time goes on; in others, it remains. I'd be curious to know: in which ways have you noticed these changes and constants within yourself?

No comments: